Friday, May 3, 2013

Pattern and an overlocker

After 3 weeks, all my 12 patterns arrived from the US.
Half of the price was for the patterns, which were cheap.
The other half was for postage.
The envelope came a bit tattered but the patterns inside were all in good condition, so I am happy.
The fist thing I made was this skirt. I was so excited, I spent the next few days after receiving the patterns, cutting the papers, cloth - this time and first time sewing tafetta, doing the underling (I hate them!) and sewing them together. 
The pattern looks good - on the model. The real one ...bit less ideal on me, but acceptable. 
Note to self - make some minor changes next time.






There is 3 wish list I have for my sewing adventures.
1. Serger/overlocker - done!
2. Huge cutting table?
3. New room facing my pond - not yet!!

I wanted to buy the latest Brother's overlocker. My current machine is Brother and thought it will be easier if I want to send both for servicing. 
Dissapointing!
The website listing on the nearest to where I stayed - mobile number is invalid.
I called Brother's directly and promised a Sales person will call me soon.
Called 2 times, no reply. Bad service.
I am a very impatient person. If I want something, I probably want to have it yesterday.
So, off I went to Singer (near to my house anyway), and bought one immediately.
The Singer overlocker came with twin needles and 4 spools, all hooked up nicely.
Took it home. Tested in and have some short lived fun because.........one of the spool thread ran out.
I spent the next 1 hour figuring how to loop it. Not much fun. Lousy instructions on the booklet because everything was printed in black, thread included, so how to see exactly how it works?
Instructions of the machine was not much help.
It came with a CD but I was too lazy to put it it.
BUT, hook it up I did and tinkered with it to get the tension right.
Once, you figured out how to loop it...then it's a breeze, so tons of patience is needed.

So, here's the overlocker. It was super fun because I serged everything! Especially love that I can serge both fabric for underlining together. 
It came with a flimsy plastic cover - ugly.
So, I made a cover a ton of craft fabric I ordered from the US.
That London-y fabric is my favourite, so I am glad the last bits got sewn as a cover. 
However, still short of a little fabric, I paired it with Amy Butler red circle fabric.
It does look a bit wonky here because the overlocker is not exactly square-ish.
I am happy with the result. I started sewing making bags for my children and I missed doing such simple crafting.  










Why serge/overlock?
I am still confused on the difference, seems the same to me :)
I have always did the french seams. Though it was a bit more work, it worked fine for many projects.
The only issue I had was doing sleeves...which is my nemesis...still can't fit them perfectly, let alone do french seams.
The skirt pleats demanded some cutting like this picture below, see the odd shapes? Definitely can't do french seams, so that's where my overlocker came to the rescue. The result was a clean seam cover.
It does cut down a lot of time though which I love to the max!!
I used to send some of my earlier clothing for serging and loved how those ladies serged them with the cutter, everything was so tidy. Mine came with the cutter but I didn't use it most of the time. Didn't like all those small bits of thread all over the machine.  If the fabric was cut accurately, I find that there is not need to cut the extras, saves loads on cleaning. I read the machine can do many other stuff too...which I will tinkle on later.


Anyway, happy sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi dear, may I know did u order directly from simplicity website? I saw in their international order faq stated to use a sub international website but i couldn't enter tat website. The shipping cost 40% of the total order in usd?? Any additional custom tax implied??

    ReplyDelete